Manuka is the Maori name for Leptospermum Scoparium which is a native tree of New Zealand. Known as The Healing Honey of the Tea Tee, Manuka has been used for centuries in traditional Maori folk medicine. Manuka Honey is found only in New Zealand and was the first honey to contain additional healing properties not found in other types of honey. This active property has proven to be a powerful antibacterial agent and helps support a healthy immune system.
Manuka honey contains a second type of antibacterial activity in addition to hydrogen peroxide. Its antibacterial activity is unaffected by enzymes in the body that destroy the hydrogen peroxide components. In addition, it diffuses deeper into skin tissue than the enzymes of other honeys. These factors make Manuka Honey ideal for medicinal use.
In laboratory tests, has proven to be a powerful topical antibacterial. It is classified as a Therapeutic Good in Australia (the equivalent to a drug registered and approved by the U.S. FDA), and the clinical advantages of Manuka honey have been recognized as a primary treatment by the UK Health Ministry for hospital wound care and treatment.
Clinical reports show that can be used as an efficient wound dressing. The manner in which Manuka Honey heals wounds is a synergistic interaction of 5 key elements:
1. Hydrogen peroxide is produced from an enzyme in the honey upon skin contact. Scientific evidence has shown that most strains of harmful bacteria cannot survive in the presence of hydrogen peroxide.
2. A moist healing barrier is created by the honey between the wound and dressing with no sticking and no tissue damage. Scarring is reduced because skins cells grow without forming a scab.
3. Nutrients are supplied by the honey for healthy tissue regeneration and stimulation of growth of new blood capillaries.
4. Acidity of the honey assists in healing as topical acidification of wounds promotes healing.
5. An osmosis effect is produced by the honey’s high sugar content. It draws lymph out to the cells while absorbing moisture and provides an anti-inflammatory action, which reduces swelling, pain and malodor. Manuka honey assists in lifting dirt and debris from the bed of a wound and induces sloughing of dying tissue.
The popularity of Manuka honey in wound care is growing throughout the world where it is often used when traditional methods fail to heal persistent wounds and infections. It has been proven to be highly effective against antibiotic-resistant “superbugs” such as MRSA and VRE. It also heals persistent wounds and eliminates cross infections. Even if a wound isn’t infected, Manuka honey is still the best thing to use to get the most rapid healing without scarring.
Other natural healing benefits of using Manuka Honey for medicinal purposes:
• 100% organic – it is one of the few honeys in the world that is truly organic
• Antioxidant source – disarms disease-causing free radicals in the body
• Stress reliever – calms the mind and promotes rejuvenating sleep
• Disease killer, with remarkably potent antibiotic properties and no negative side effects
• Promotes the growth of healthy bacteria
• Exfoliates and renews skin cells.
• Deep conditioner for hair. As a humectant, it attracts and retains moisture
Manuka Honey has been documented to effectively treat the following health conditions:
• Cuts, burns and skin ulcers
• Wounds and pressure sores
• Insect bites and stings
• Yeast infections
• Skin conditions, such as eczema and psoriasis
• Fungal infections such as athlete’s foot and ringworm
• Bacterial infections such as MRSA/Staph
• Respiratory conditions by soothing inflamed airways
• Sore throats and chapped lips
• Sore muscles (Mix 2 tablespoons in bath water)
• Kills bacteria that cause gum disease and tooth decay
Manuka honey can destroy infectious pathogens such as:
• E. coli
• H. pylori
Manuka honey contains all the essential vitamins and minerals for sustaining life, including Vitamins A, B-complex, C, D, E, and K; beta-carotene; enzymes. It also contains more antioxidants and amino acids than other types of honey. Manuka Honey has only 21 calories per teaspoon and does not promote weight gain. In addition, it has a higher sweetening power than sugar, which means you can use less honey than sugar to achieved the desired sweetness. It also helps to boost energy more efficiently as well as the immune system.