Manuka honey is a special type of honey that is produced by bees that specifically tend to the manuka plant, which is native to New Zealand. It has been expressed as a health food by different research studies because of its potential benefits to your body. Manuka honey is an ideal treatment aide for oral and dermal health, as well as for addressing illnesses, infections and abrasions.
Why is the UMF rating important?
Manuka honey has a high methylglyoaxal (MG) content, which dwarfs that of other types of honey. This high concentration results from conversion of dihydroacetone which is present in the manuka flower. The level of these compounds in manuka honey will determine its Unique Manuka factor (UMF), which may define its potency. Manuka honey with a higher UMF rating may be able to offer better antimicrobial effects for improved overall health.
What are some manuka honey benefits for your skin?
Rosacea is a skin condition that causes inflamed and enlarged pores. It usually causes scarring, disfigurement and soreness for patients. Manuka honey has been a vital treatment option, helping restore the texture of patient’s damaged skin. It features inflammatory and healing properties that have pushed it to the fore of treatment plans for patients suffering from this incurable condition.
For people suffering from hives and eczema, manuka honey has proved similarly beneficial. It works to alleviate these effects of exposure to allergens and prevent persistent irritation, which may cause an infection as a result of the increased likelihood to itch. It can act as a moisturizing agent, protecting skin from any further irritation.
Manuka also offers a healthy treatment option for acne, which is guaranteed to work better than most topical solutions. It will not exacerbate acne or cause the development of an even more serious breakout, traits which typify acne treatment options. It works to provide a protective coating on the affected area, as well as combat microbes within the skin for improved health.
Other dermal solutions that manuka honey will provide include athlete’s foot and other fungal infections, as well as increase the regenerative ability of your body in the event of cuts or bruises.
How to use manuka honey for better dermal health
There are a number of ways through which you can apply manuka honey topically in collaboration with other beneficial substances, as opposed to just lacing it over your skin. While this will provide benefit, it can be boring and wasteful over time.
You can create a moisturizing facial mask by combining manuka honey with coconut oil and mashed avocadoes to give your skin a healthy glow. You can even snack on some of this delicious mix as the mask takes effect since all the ingredients are edible.
For smoother skin, a manuka honey exfoliating mask will come in handy. Replace avocadoes and coconut oil with granulated sugar and olive oil for a gentle scrub that will clean and soothe your skin.
If you are interested in full-body skin revitalization, you could consider a manuka honey and milk bath. The honey will exfoliate your skin and address problematic areas while the milk will work to make it supple. For best results, you should massage your skin with a slightly rough scrub before rinsing.
Raw Manuka Honey Bundle – New Zealand Honey Co. UMF 15+ / UMF 20+ / UMF 24+
- Special package: get one of each of our unique range of raw manuka honey, which includes a jar of UMF 15+, UMF 20+ and UMF 24+ 8.8 oz.
- Enhance your meal: enhance your daily meal with our Manuka honey or simply take one tablespoon a day. Our UMF Manuka Honey is a perfect companion for many foods; smoothies and wellness drinks, muesli, marinades. It is also great for natural skin care.
- Made 100% in New Zealand: all our honey is collected, harvested, packaged and tested in New Zealand, all our batches are independently tested, which means you can be completely confident that what you receive is 100% genuine, as stated on the jar.
- UMF certified: we are members of the UMF honey association; this means that our honey meets strict grading criteria and what is stated on the label is guaranteed as a minimum. UMF honey association certification provides confidence that the Manuka honey you are buying is 100% authentic. Test certificates are available for each jar.
- Sustainable: Manuka is a tree indigenous to New Zealand and can only be sourced from our beautiful and unique country. Our Manuka honey is an organic and natural living food, which means it still contains all the natural pollens and enzymes, as it is the original sweet liquid produced by bees.